So you’ve finally done it—you’ve decided you’re going to invest in a vacation home. Or maybe you’ve just decided to start researching the idea. Either way, you’re probably wondering where to begin. To help guide you through this life-changing process, Villas at Royal Oaks has put together a list of helpful questions to ask yourself before submitting that big offer.
1. Can you afford it?
For obvious reasons, this is typically the first question to ask yourself before buying a vacation home or really any real estate. If you’re not financially stable enough to buy a new home without too much stress, you should probably put it on hold for a few more years.
Also, in addition to looking at the sale price of the home, there are other financial components that must be considered:
- Financing: If you’re buying a second home, you may find the number of available financing options daunting. You may also be taken back by the way financing can change if you’re buying a second home. That’s why before purchasing your dream home, consult with mortgage brokers and financial consultants to ensure you’re making all the right moves.
- Insurance: In seaside areas, where risks of natural disasters like hurricanes and floods are significantly higher, it’s best to get several insurance quotes before making an offer on the house.
- Taxes: Not only should you factor in property taxes, but also take into account the way taxes on a second home can fluctuate. Additionally, issues of taxes can be further complicated if you plan on occasionally renting your vacation home.
- Maintenance: When considering your financial standing, don’t forget to factor in the cost of upkeep and maintenance. Some say a good rule of thumb is to aim to have 2% of the home’s value set aside just for maintenance issues.
2. Does it meet your level of luxury?
If you’re finally going to take the big plunge of buying a new vacation or retirement home, why not make sure it’s perfect? After all, it’s meant to be a place of relaxation and enjoyment. For this reason, it’s helpful to start by first defining your desired level of luxury. How much do you need and expect? Do you want beautiful waterfront views? A worry-free community? Private pier? Do you want to be within close proximity to shops, restaurants, and entertainment? These are all questions you should consider.
If you answered “yes” to all of the above questions you may want to check out the Villas at Royal Oaks. At Villas at Royal Oaks, we’re on a mission to perfect coastal living. Our Mediterranean-influenced community is nestled among beautiful mature oak trees, and we pride ourselves on being luxury home builders, creating a friendly community that strikes the perfect balance between luxury and functionality. Included among our many attractions is a private fishing pier, putting green, fire pit, and park with walking trails.
3. How often will you be there?
Are you planning on staying in your new home permanently? A few months a year? Are you wanting to rent it out? These are all important questions that can directly impact loan qualifications and financing options. For example, generally speaking, rental properties are subject to tax breaks. Likewise, you can often receive a tax deduction on the mortgage of a second home.
Before settling on a new home, consider how often you will be there and factor this into your financial planning and don’t forget to bring these issue to the attention of your financial advisors.
4. Is it the right location?
There are two main components to choosing the right location. Firstly, you need to consider the logistics of moving to your chosen place. How long will it take to get there? How many moving trucks will be required? And also how close is it to family and friends, and how easy is it visit. For example, at The Villas at Royal Oaks, we are close to a local airport, and less than an hour from the Corpus Christi International Airport, making travel for you and your guests a breeze.
The second aspect to choosing the right location is making sure the location is capable of meeting your lifestyle and climate needs. Typically, this is a key issue for new retirees and those searching for a vacation home. Most people want a warm place close to water with a variety of entertainment, attractions, and restaurants. Others may be more specific with this and set their sights on a place that’s ideal for their hobbies—fishing, golfing, etc.
Whether you are looking for a new vacation home or a home to relax on retirement, it’s important to do your homework and find the place that’s right for you. If you’re looking for bay-front properties in a charming community in beautiful South Texas, look no further than the Villas at Royal Oaks!
With options of buying currently available homes or building your own villa to your personal liking, Villas at Royal Oaks can help you make your dream home a reality.